1870s George Curyea builds French Second Empire brick residence. (now 5 Lafayette, still standing)
1870 Mattoon Gas Company built at 1321 Richmond Ave.
1870 Joseph H. Clark plats an additional 40 acres to add to the city.
1870 Second Missionary (Colored) Baptist Church organized. (now 2001 Shelby.
1870 Calvary Baptist Church built.
1870 German Evangelical Assoc. built church in southwest part of city.
1871 The Radical Republican changed name to Mattoon Commercial newspaper.
1871 Northern Coal & Mining Co. given permit to mine on land south of city (now area of Marshall & 21st ).
1871 Mattoon House opens on southeast corner of Broadway and First Street (now 17th St.). The name was changed to Dole House in honor of the Dole brothers that built it.
1871 Third Story added to West Side School.
1871 Congregationalist Church buys New-School Presbyterian building after Old-School & New-School Presbyterians combine. (now 1520 Charleston)
1871 Methodist Episcopal Church erected. (Now NW corner 17th & Charleston)
1872 Church of the Immaculate Conception frame school building erected.
1872 Christian Church congregation divided and another church built. (now 2412 Western)
1872 Unitarian Church built. (now Trinity Episcopal at 2200 Western)
1872 C. D. Bostwick and George B. McDougall reorganized the Gazette newspaper.
Oct. 3, 1872 Mattoon Commercial newspaper purchased by Rufus Sumerlin & Sons.
1873 Unity Church of Liberal Christians built. (2000 Western)
1874 Book bindery established by U. T. S. Rice.
1874 John Kirchgraber builds greenhouse on East Broadway and establishes nursery on ten acres of land. (now Lafayette Heights)
1875 The Chuse Manufacturing Co. opens.
May 20, 1874 Mattoon National Bank chartered.
July 1874 Central Park established on land purchased by the city for $1,800. (now City Hall)
1875 A jail is built and trees are planted in Central Park.
1875 Mattoon Gas Company named changes to Mattoon Gas Light & Coke Company.
1876 Carrie Johnson Kingman erects Opera House to replace Doles Hall which was destroyed by fire. (now SW corner 16th & Broadway)
1876 Adolf Sumerlin purchased Mattoon Commercial newspaper from father. Adolf is editor , & his wife Lucy T. (Townley) Sumerlin is Assoc Editor.
1876 J. W. Hogue establishes Tile factory south of town. (now S. 13th St. between Marshall & Marion)
Jan. 1876 Calvary Baptist Church organized meeting in hall over Hasbroucks hardware store
1877 Telephone installed between Indianapolis & St. Louis railroad shops and dispatchers office are the first in the city.
1877 Davis Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church built on land deeded by Ebenezer Noyes. (now 2321 Dewitt)
1877 Great railroad strike, businesses temporarily paralyzed.
1877 Mattoon City Council passed ordinance creating a volunteer fire department.
1877 The Grayville and Mattoon Railroad reaches Mattoon.
1878 It was reported that there were five serious fires in the city.
1878 William B. Mattoon, namesake for the city, dies.
1878 South School is built. (now 1217 Lafayette)
1878 Peoria, Decatur, & Evansville Railroad builds its roundhouse and shops at 27th Street & Broadway. They also build a passenger depot at 21st Street. (core of this depot stands today used by A. J. Walker Construction)
1878 Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church organized. Purchased abandoned Missionary Baptist Church (now 216 21st St.)
1878 Everett House Hotel built. (now S. 17th St. south of Broadway)
July 4, 1878 Grayville & Mattoon Railroad completed in Mattoon.
1879 History of Coles County, Illinois published.
1879 Coles County leads the Nation in broomcorn production with over four million pounds.
Oct. 9, 1879 First electric light is seen in Mattoon at a circus exhibit.
Nov. 17, 1879 The Peoria, Lincoln and Decatur Railway and the Decatur, Mattoon and Southern Railroad were consolidated as the Peoria, Decatur and Evansville Railway.
South Side School
Illinois Central (PD&E) Shops